The month of March happens to be one of the hottest months in the Philippines. Since it has stated in facts that summer season has the most number of fire incidents in the country, Presidential Proclamation No. 115-A as declared to be the official observation of Fire Prevention Month. It is to promote knowledge, education and awareness to the people to lessen the incidence of fire.
For us to access the situation during fire situations, here are some tips on how to prevent fire accumulation on your workplace based on Safety Center Incorporated:
- Be Organized
- Exercise good workplace housekeeping. Cluttered workstation contributes to fires by providing fuel and by blocking the access to emergency exits and equipment.
- Designated Smoking Areas
- Smoke only in designated areas, and dispose smoking materials safely. Avoid smoking near storage areas with chemicals and other flammable equipment.
- Fire Extinguishers
- Maintain easy access from fire equipment such as fire extinguishers. In operating a fire extinguisher, remember the word P A S S:
- Pull the pin. Hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you, and release the locking mechanism.
- Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
- Sweep the nozzle from side-to-side.
- Electrical Hazards
- Report electrical hazards present at your office to qualified and authorized personnel. Make sure to properly maintain and occasionally monitor electrical equipment, wiring, etc. Many fire starts in faulty wiring and broken electrical equipment.
- Access to Control Panels
- Maintain easy access to all electrical control panels.
- Waste Control and Storage
- Control the accruals of flammable and combustible waste materials and residue so that they do not contribute to a fire emergency.
- Prevent Ignition
- Precautionary measurements should be followed to prevent ignition in potentially explosive surroundings. Use non-sparking tools and control static electricity as required.
- Emergency Exits
- Emergency exits should be well lit with neon-regulation signs. Passage ways to such exits should always be cluttered free in case of emergency situations. Emergency exit diagrams should also be posted.
- Emergency Contact Numbers
- Employees should have a list of emergency contact phone numbers in case of emergency. Basic information such as company address, phone number and floor plan should be posted.
- Sprinkler Systems & Smoke Detectors
- The most important factor in fire prevention is having a quality and well maintained fire alarm and detection system such as Yung Yang Fire Safety Equipment. It will help in preventing the spread of fire through early detection. Occasionally testing of sprinkler systems and smoke detectors should be done.
Joyce A. Rodriguez